Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sock Achievements

Prologue: My knitting time has been limited lately because a) we moved, and b) the sellers left this house filthy and in a considerable state of disarray. So another sock post it is, and hopefully soon I will have more knitting time and more interesting things to blog about. For now, I hope you love socks.

I finished my sixth pair of socks for 2014, which means I met my goal that I set at New Year's. I mean, I figured I would. Six pairs seems totally doable, yes? But still, I'm pretty pleased with myself. Definitely gonna bang out at least another couple of pairs yet this year, so maybe next year my goal will be 8 pairs. To be honest, though, since we moved to the tropical rainforest, I'm just not sure that my sock needs will require 8 more pairs. Or really any more pairs at all. I finished this pair last night, put them on, and immediately took them off, because at 10 o'clock at night it was still over 90 degrees outside. I keep reading about how fall has come early to other parts of the country, and how Starbucks has the pumpkin spice latte out already, and I saw Halloween candy in the supermarket, and I just think about how I had to change my outfit twice yesterday because I was too sweaty to reasonably keep wearing that shirt. I digress. It's hot here! You know that already.


I kept thinking about alligators when I was knitting these, because that's something one has to think about here in Louisiana, and also because that stitch pattern. Sort of reminds me of alligator skin, especially all bunched up on the needles. These are Petunia Dursley's Double Eyelet socks, in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. I love this yarn. I will definitely order more, and by that, I mean wait until I get my once-a-quarter free shipping coupon from Jimmy Beans Wool, then get another skein and hoard it for awhile.


A lesson I learned this morning: camera lenses fog up if you take them outside when the humidity is 100%. Probably should have thought of that, but I also probably should have thought about how if I put the new socks on a bush to take their picture, I may be disturbing the bush's lizard resident, and that might be sort of startling. Lizards, humidity, no sign of fall, alligators. What are we doing? I don't know.

Plymouth Yarns Happy Feet, and it's not really that purple. More blue. Boyish, probably. 

Next pair of socks! I think I'm going to do a little Christmas knitting, because like we discussed, I have literally no need for socks in the near (and probably also the distant!) future. My family, though, they've probably already had to break out the wool sweaters and scarves and stuff, because South Dakota. Or maybe not yet. I guess it is still August.


No comments:

Post a Comment