Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Midwestern Knits, and a plea for help.

I've mentioned a few times on this here blog that I hail from the great state of South Dakota. Growing up in the Midwest really shaped who I am as a person, and if nothing else, instilled a deep appreciation of thick, warm, wool sweaters. When I saw that Holla Knits editor Allyson Dykhuizen was putting together a book of Midwest-inspired designs, I was like, YES. That is for me. I submitted a proposal, it got accepted, and now: the money. This project is going to be funded by Kickstarter, which is not something I've ever done before, but I like it! There are a ton of great incentives- special skeins of yarn by Midwestern dyers, signed copies of books by the other designers, and for one lucky person, a pair of socks, hand-knit by moi. 

Want to hear about the sweater I'm going to design? Of course you do. It's tentatively called "Blowing Snow," and is inspired by- wait for it- the way snow blows across the highways. Cleverly named patterns is not something I am good at. It will be an oversize, cozy cardigan with a shawl collar and close-fitting stockinette sleeves. The body of the cardigan will be this garter-stitch wave pattern. 


Pretty, right? I can just imagine snuggling up in this cardigan at my parents' house in South Dakota at Christmas time. You know I won't be able to wear this baby in Baton Rouge. Ugh.

If you grew up in the Midwest, love knitting and knitting books, or just feel inspired, would you consider donating? In addition to getting what is sure to be an awesome knitting pattern book, you will have my undying love. Love!

2 comments:

  1. It was worth watching the video just to finally know how Allyson pronounces her last name (I'd always wondered).

    I pledged!

    ReplyDelete