Friday, February 26, 2016

Socks: Currently Unnecessary.

I realized the other day that I haven't finished a pair of socks in ages. I honestly don't even remember the last pair of socks I knitted. I have a sock going now- I use the term "going" loosely, because I knit a round or two on it like once or twice a week- but I feel no pressure to finish it. As I was outside on a sunny, 75* February day, I figured out why. We had no winter this year. I wore hand-knit socks like 4, maybe 5 times total. Most of my socks didn't even make it out of storage. As a knitter, this is sad. "Why even bother making socks anymore?" I asked myself. "I can't think of any reason to continue," I answered myself.


Plain vanilla sock, Knit Picks Hawthorne in the colorway Belmont that somehow jumped into my basket when I was ordering yarn for something else. Not sure why. It's sort of an odd color and the pooling is strange. 

As sad as it is, I just don't see a point in devoting precious knitting time to making socks, unless it's a super cool pattern, or holiday specific. That would be ok. I've got my eye on Jellyfish, and someone gave me a skein of Halloween sock yarn that I'd like to knit up before next Halloween. But these plain vanilla socks just aren't cutting it right now. I'd rather knit sweaters that I can wear once a year. Logic! Mine is sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment