Friday, September 18, 2015

Knit Picks Mighty Stitch Yarn

If you get the Knit Picks catalogs in the mail, you'll likely have noticed that they've got a new yarn called Mighty Stitch. It's an 80-20 blend of acrylic and superwash wool that's meant to be a workhouse yarn for things like blankets, stuff for kids, and easy care garments. When they offered me a few balls to try out, I was like yes, duh, everyone I know is pregnant and I have lots of baby gifts to knit right now and I could use this. They sent me three balls- Spruce, Canary, and Silver- along with this sweet project bag. I am rocking these three colors lately in my home decor stuff so now I'm pretty sure Knit Picks can see into my living room or something.



I made/am making two different things. 1) A new fingerless mitts pattern, and 2) a baby blanket for one of the eleventy million babies my friends are due to have this year. This yarn is so very soft that it's perfect for both of these things. I guess I'd have to say that it's super perfect for baby stuff because so. very. soft. The yarn also has a sheen to it, which gives the mitts some cool depth. I haven't washed the yarn yet so I can't speak to its durability, but I can tell you that I definitely need an adult-sized blanket for me made from this yarn. It's very cuddly, and the yardage is excellent, too- 208 yards per ball. Can't beat that.

So! My projects.

1. Fingerless mitts! This is the Treillage Mitts pattern, in the Spruce colorway.


This is a much-more-complicated-than-it-looks knit/purl/slip stitch pattern, with twisted rib edgings because I can't stay away from twisted rib. You can make these as long or short as you want- notes are in the pattern. Easy, quick, and pretty darn cool. Get the pattern on Ravelry here for just $2 until the end of September!


2. Baby blanket in Canary and Silver. Not sure yet which baby this is going to but there's a big list so I'm sure I'll find the right baby. 


I very slightly modified the pattern from my Blowing Snow Cardigan for this blanket. It's really quick to work, and I like the slightly scalloped edge this pattern creates. Also when I sat down to start this blanket, I had a cold, and the Blowing Snow pattern was one I could remember off the top of my head, except not quite, which is why I "slightly modified" it, so there we are. I think it's lovely and I even like the little purl ridge thing that's happening between color changes. Mostly I have no choice but to like it because there's no way around it without serious modifications to the pattern. But no really, I like it. 

Have any baby gifts you need to make? I'd recommend some Mighty Stitch. It's soft, machine washable, and comes in pretty colors, but most importantly: it's totally affordable. I hope they make a bulky version because I will be all over that for a blanket for my living room. 

1 comment:

  1. I'd love it if you made that into a baby blanket pattern for purchase!!

    ReplyDelete