Saturday, February 25, 2012

And now it's too warm for a sweater.

The wonderful thing about living in California is that it's often 75 in February. The crappy thing about being a knitter in California is that it's often 75 in February. I started this sweater at the beginningish of this month, and I'm not sure I'll get a chance to wear it this year. Maybe I'll start a trend and wear it with shorts. Too hot on top, chilly on the bottom. It could work.


I realize this is not a picture of a whole sweater. Oops. Cool pattern, though, right? It's going to be a scoop neck pullover with long sleeves. Here's the first sleeve. I'm stalled on the sleeve because apparently, knitting sleeves with sleeve caps is hard. I figured I'd just knit the thing, because that worked out ok for the body of the sweater, but turns out that's harder when there's a sleeve cap involved. So yesterday, I read just about all of the articles on the interwebs about designing sleeve caps. One article involved calculus. For serious. I stopped reading.


I might just continue on with the current plan, which involves a lot of fudging with the lace pattern and some "oh, that looks like it'll fit in the arm hole". Then the really fun part will be making another sleeve to match.

But really, I have loved knitting this sweater. It's Malabrigo, which is always wonderful to knit with. And I love this colorway- it's Hollyhock. I'm pretty sure it's only going to take 3 skeins of yarn. Seems like so little. But really, it's a fairly open lace pattern on size 10 needles, and it's a fitted sweater. So it's not totally out of line. I'll just have a couple extra skeins, and that's never really a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment