Sunday, March 9, 2014

Socks, socks, socks

Last night, I finished Sock Pair #2 of 2014. The goal is to knit 6 pairs, so I feel like things are going well.
I finished the first sock several weeks ago (or more? not sure.), then the one sock + the yarn and needles languished in my knitting box in the living room. Lately I have had a real problem with clutter, WIPs, and just generally unfinished things, so on Thursday last I decided that one sock would not cut it, and I needed to cast on for the second right now. (Also, I had finished my other WIPs, and had nothing else planned for immediate knitting.) Then yesterday, I thought, "If that sock doesn't get finished today I simply cannot deal." The morning started with halfway though the heel flap, and the evening ended with a finished pair of socks. I literally did almost nothing else yesterday. I'm not sure it was the healthiest way to spend a Saturday, but there we are. 


The yarn is Knit Picks Stroll Hand Paints in the Dolly colorway. I got it at the Knit Picks Black Friday sale last Thanksgiving, along with the yarn I used for my first pair of the year. I really like this yarn- it's super soft, comfy to wear, and best of all, affordable. The pattern is Twilight (no, nothing to do with sparkly vampires) from the book 2-at-a-time Socks. Have I mentioned how much I love this book? Because I do. Ironically, I've never knitted socks 2 at a time. I just like the patterns from the book. I've made 5 or 6 of the 18 patterns, some of them twice. I like to have socks on the needles as my (what my hubby calls) Friday night knitting, meaning things I can knit when a) it's been a long day, and I'm tired, b) I worked on complicated design stuff all day, and I don't want to think anymore, or far and away the most likely, c) I've had a cocktail or two and anything else would be too hard.

Sock Pair #1 of 2014 was plain vanilla socks, Sock Pair #2 is these, and Sock Pair #3 is going to be more plain vanilla socks in the doofiest sock yarn ever.

(Pair 1 under Pair 2, with sock 1 of Pair 3)

I'm making a real effort to knit (and sew) down my stash this year. Moving last September was absolutely terrible, made even worse by the fact that we had to get rid of some of our furniture because the moving van was too full of stuff from my craft room. Seriously. I'm embarrassed. And since we're 95% sure we're moving again this fall, I do not want a repeat of last time. So we knit! And sew! And that means that sometimes, we make socks out of pink and green variegated yarn that we don't know why we ever had in the first place. 


It's actually not quite as goofy as I thought it would be knitted up. But still.. what was I thinking, I ask you. What? Ah well. Socks are socks.


No comments:

Post a Comment