Saturday, March 30, 2013

Babies and Harry Potter

My younger sister is pregnant. She's due in late September, but my mom and I have already dove right in to making baby stuff. She's way more on top of it than me, but she's also just a more prolific sewer, and knitting is generally slower, and excuses. But.


We're pretty big Harry Potter enthusiasts in this family. Some may go so far as to say Harry Potter nerds. I disagree. We're not nerds. Just slightly obsessive. My brother is lobbying pretty hard to get the baby named Dumbledore, a name that he claims, despite social norms and whatever my sister may think, is in fact a unisex name. I thought maybe for a second middle name. I bet my sister will agree to that. Right Katy? Right?

So I made the baby this little Harry Potter set. I saw a onesie like this on Pinterest, but it was a pin of a pin of a pin, and impossible to track down. I dislike that about Pinterest. It used to be so easy to find the original source, but then they switched some things up, and now- impossible. This is why I try to pin only original material, with the source name in my description. Give credit where it's due, right? But I digress. The onesie. Couldn't find the source, so I just made one myself. I tried to find small black iron-on letters at JoAnn's, but no luck. I figured that my handwriting is pretty good, so I would just wing it with some black puff-paint. It's ok. Not perfect. I don't think the baby will mind much, though. The hat and socks I made in Gryffindor colors, because Harry Potter. And I think that most people are pretty sure they'd be in Gryffindor, despite the fact that most people would most certainly not be in Gryffindor. Me, for example. I think most people would actually be Hufflepuffs. Hufflepuff House would be like 85% of the school.



The hat and socks are made from Plymouth Superwash DK, which is a wonderful yarn to knit with. So soft, and the colors are dead on. I ordered yarn from KnitPicks for this project, and it was hotdog stand yellow and red. Wrong. So I tried again, and I won. The hat I just knitted. It's just a hat. Easy. Tied a pompom on top because everything is improved with a pompom. The socks are from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, which is a lovely book. I've made a few things from that book already, and intend to make a few more. Knitted baskets, for example. I love the idea of storing my knitting projects in a knitted basket. Very meta.




So I hope she likes this little collection. She loves Harry Potter nearly as much as me, so I'm sure she will. Once this kid's born it's totally getting a Weasley sweater. And maybe a sweater with a Hungarian Horntail on it, which I would have to be careful to never show my brother, because he would demand one as well, and I just don't have that kind of time. There's baby stuff to knit.





No comments:

Post a Comment