Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Deep thoughts with Emily Ringelman

Recently, I've been thinking about peoples' hobbies, and how when you break them down to their simplest form, they sound absolutely ridiculous, and you kind of wonder why people would spend their free time doing these strange things. I have no idea why I've been thinking about this. I'm just odd that way.

For example, I like to make little loops of string with a stick. My mom likes to cut fabric into little pieces and sew it back together. My brother-in-law likes to pick up heavy things and put them back down. My husband likes to go find birds.

When you really start to think about it, hobbies are kind of weird, right? So simple at the most basic level, but so all-consuming and terribly complicated in reality. Anyway.



Look, I'm getting close to being done with my Agnes pullover! I'm trying to limit myself to only working on this in the evenings, and even then only if I've made satisfactory progress on my "work" knitting. And the knitting I've agreed to when I've been drinking, and now feel like I have to do because I'm trying to teach myself to not agree to everything when I've got a cocktail in my hand. I'm looking at you, Yoda hat.


Both shoulder seams are sewn, and one sleeve is seamed and has been set in, and the other sleeve is started. While I was setting in the sleeve, it occurred to me that I'm pretty sure I've never done that before. What kind of knitter am I? I guess one who prefers non-set in sleeves.


Also, I think my yarn estimate is going to be perfect. Started my last ball of yarn partway through the second sleeve. Ideally there will be only a very small amount left over. My leftovers bin is getting out of hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment