Friday, December 1, 2017

Cashmere Gloves, or Maybe Not

Right now, the baby is totally happy sitting on the floor in her room, playing with toys. She doesn't crawl yet and she's perfectly stable, so I don't worry about toppling. I get to sit in the rocking chair and knit while she plays, and it's lovely. I don't think phase will last much longer because she's making motions like she wants to crawl, and then I'll never sit down again. But while she's still happy playing on the floor, I knit. I've gotten a ton of things made in playtime. It's awesome. My latest project is this cashmere glove, which if we're being honest is not great.


I'm using Filatura di Crosa Solocashmere, which is listed as a fingering weight 100% cashmere yarn. I don't think fingering is accurate for this yarn- depending on how dense you want the fabric to be it knits up at sport to DK weight gauge. The recommended needle size is 6 to 7 (4 to 4.5 mm) so maybe someone doesn't understand what "fingering" means?

I'm using my Anchors Aweigh glove pattern and making the second size, because according to my swatch my gauge was tighter than the pattern. The plan was that larger size + tighter gauge = the smaller size glove. That is not working. This glove is clearly too large in the hand and it's goofy. I keep thinking "clown glove" while I'm knitting so that's probably a sign that I need to cut my losses. I only have the tip of the middle finger and the cuff to go. Don't care, we're done here. Just to be clear, the issue here is a bad pattern/yarn combo. The pattern and yarn alone are great, but they don't want to be together, I don't think.


Sometimes with blog reviews, you get to pick the color and quantity of yarn you'd like, and sometimes you don't, and that's fine so long as you know about it. For this particular review, I asked for three balls of black because a) black gloves are classy as hell, and b) I thought (correctly) that I'd need more than one ball per glove to make a decent length cuff. Instead, I received two cream and one orange ball, but I was like whatever, I'm still making gloves because that was the original plan. I did a provisional cast on then went right into the thumb gusset part, because I wanted to use up every inch of one of the cream balls (which is 87 yards) for each glove. I was planning to knit the hand, then go back, undo the cast on, and knit the cuff down, using up all of the yarn. A good idea in theory.

The yarn is soooo soft. Duh, it's cashmere. It's a tiny bit splitty but really not bad. My only issue is the laddering. See here below, in the palm? I shifted around the dpns around every few rows, but no matter what I did the yarn laddered between dpns, then kept the ladder after I moved the needles around. Never experienced this before, but this is only my second 100% cashmere project, so maybe it's a cashmere thing? Anyone have ideas? Maybe it would fix itself with blocking.


But I'm going to rip this out and make something different. I finally admitted to myself this afternoon that I hate the way this is going. The hand is too big, and I can tell I wouldn't wear these. So now I'm not sure what I'll make with this yarn, but whatever it is it'll be luxurious, because cashmere.

Thank you to Filatura di Crosa for providing the yarn to me for a review. Opinions and rambling are my own as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment