Friday, October 13, 2017

Too cute, can't deal.




I finished the new Unicorn Hoodie for Elaina.


I simply cannot. One of my husband's aunts sent us this dress after she was born and this is the first time I've put it on her. Of course it's perfect with her new unicorn hoodie. I just about died when I got her dressed up. She must have known she looked adorable because she sat there and let me take a bajillion photos of her.


I wanted to make a new unicorn hoodie anyway, since I lost my original in the flood, but what sealed the deal is this Be Sweet Magic Ball yarn in the candy-colored Pastelicious. Is this not the most perfect unicorn yarn you've ever seen? I couldn't have come up with a better yarn for a unicorn mane and tail if I'd designed it myself. It comes in 48 colors, so should you want to also make a unicorn for your little one, you can make whatever color unicorn your heart desires. My heart is apparently candy colored.

The Magic Ball yarn is about 95 yards of a bunch of coordinating bits- mohair, regular yarn, metallic stuff, ribbon- just tied together in approximately equal lengths. I separated out the different bits so that I could make the mane and tail just the way I wanted. The only bit I didn't use was the blue ribbon, because I just didn't think it would fit with what I was going for.


Once I had each bit untied and wound up into a ball, I just cut appropriate lengths and made the mane and tail according to my pattern. I've got enough left over from one skein that I'm thinking of making her either a unicorn hobby horse (unicorn head on a stick) or a stuffed unicorn toy, or maybe even both. I've got a thing with unicorns, can you tell?


For the body of the sweater, I used some leftover Happy-Go-Lucky HGL Worsted in Salt Silo- the yarn I used for my Blowing Snow cardigan for Midwestern Knits. The horn and hooves are Knit Picks Swish. I wish the horn was smaller. I wrote this pattern with only one size of horn, despite the sweater going from 6 months to 12 years. Kind of a derp now that I have more experience, so I went back and fixed that in the pattern. I actually made quite a few changes to the pattern while knitting this version, including bringing it up to my current style sheet.
 

 While this yarn was 100% perfect for what I wanted it for, I don't think I'd enjoy knitting with it, especially the ribbon part. However, to each her own, and if you would like to knit with it, there are three patterns written specifically for this yarn: the Magic Scarf, Magic Cowl, and Magic Ball Hat.

Thank you to Be Sweet for providing this yarn to me for review. All opinions are my own, as always.

3 comments:

  1. She's adorable! What a great pattern for a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like a precious little angel in this! So cute and that dress with this hoodie is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely little unicorn! Too much cuteness going on here.

    ReplyDelete