Friday, May 26, 2017

Kraemer Yarns // Baby Deer Hoodie


 Look at this deer hoodie that I made for Elaina. I die.


While I was still pregnant, I was offered some yarn from Kraemer Yarns to review for le blog. I knew right away that I wanted to make a baby deer hoodie for my baby. I don't know why I was seized with such a specific desire. Pregnancy is weird. I also decided that the best course of action was to design this thing as I went. Also unsure why that was a good idea. Sleep deprivation + very limited knitting time does not have the best outcome. The armholes are a bit small, and the hood had to get a little sewing machine surgery. Ah well. It's adorable anyway.


I used Tatamy DK in Birch and First Tooth, and Tatamy DK Tweed in Carnation. I think DK is perfect for baby clothes because it's lightweight, but doesn't take a lifetime to knit (like fingering, for example.) I ain't got time for fingering-weight sweaters. :) This yarn is actually awesome for our climate, because it's a cotton/acrylic blend, so there's a real chance one could wear a knitted item and not burn up. Sometimes knitting with cotton yarn is not that much fun (ie it sucks) but this yarn never felt like knitting with cotton. I really liked it! I could see making me-sized things with this yarn, especially because it comes in so many great colors. Also a good reason to make more things with this yarn: the company spins the yarn in Pennsylvania, and they source materials from the US whenever possible. I'm sure I've talked about my issues with fast fashion and sweat shops before, so I won't harp on it again, but I'll just say that I'm a big fan of US-based yarn/fabric/clothing.


I'm thinking of writing up this pattern, but I might wait until munchkin sleeps better at night so that I can sleep better at night so that I can use my brain again. I sent a pattern that I'd written since the baby was born to my tech editor the other day, and she sent it back because I'd forgotten to include armholes. Yeah. No sleep = dumb.


Thank you to Kraemer Yarns for providing this yarn for my review. My own opinions. Please excuse any weirdness due to sleep deprivation.

4 comments:

  1. AWWWW!! Adorable sweater, on an even more adorable model. Is she always so solemn? Such an earnest little face. Great work on both projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gets weirdly solemn when I pull out a camera. No idea why.

      Delete
  2. Oh, she is gorgeous! So is the hoodie! Do a pattern please, I would love to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest little sweater on the cutest little baby! Those ears!!!

    ReplyDelete