Saturday, October 10, 2015

New Pattern: Quarter Mile Shorts

I designed some shorts. Yep, shorts. There are very, very few patterns out there for knitted shorts and pants, and I'm not sure why. It's not like shorts are more complicated than sweaters, because they're not. Knitted shorts are super soft and comfy, and you can customize them perfectly for both your body and your taste. Want hot pink shorts with neon green cuffs? I don't know why you would, but you can do that. Shorts are fairly quick to knit, and they're fun. See: my new shorts pattern, the Quarter Mile Shorts.


Those lightning-bolt looking twist stitch panels down the side make me sing songs from Grease in my head. Know what they do at the end of Grease? Race their cars a quarter mile. I'll let you think about my totally clever naming for just a second. 


These start with a provisional cast on for the inner waistband. Mine is pink, because duh. Then a turning row and the outer waistband, then you put a ring of elastic in between the layers and knit them shut. Short rows shape the booty, and a series of increases shape the hips and crotch. All the while there's that great greased lightning panel down each side. After you divide for the legs, some more short rows lower the back leg. Garter stitch cuffs, and you're done. Easy. 

I'm wearing the M and it took two balls of Cascade 220 Superwash, plus a bit of pink for the inner waistband. 


I've got tips in the pattern for avoiding the dreaded saggy crotch, because ew. Some of my pattern testers did something clever so that they can easily access the elastic to change it out if it wears out. I thought that seemed like really forward thinking, but who am I to judge. 

Details!

Sizes: Ladies' XS (S, M, L, XL, 2X)
Low Waist: 25 (29.75, 33.5, 36, 42, 46.5)”
Hips: 31 (34, 38, 40.5, 46, 51)”
Thigh: 19 (20, 23, 25.5, 30, 32)”

Yarn Requirements: 
Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash; [100% Superwash Wool; 220yd/201m per 100 g skein]; Color:
892 Space Needle 2 (2, 2, 3, 3, 4) skeins
837 Magenta 1 skein for all sizes

Get the pattern for just $4 until October 24th. After that it will go up to $5.50. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, knit shorts! I could live in these! They look soft and comfy!

    ReplyDelete