Friday, August 21, 2015

Review: Sockupied Fall 2015

photo credit: Sockupied/Harper Point Photography

A while ago, a designer friend and I got to talking about hobbies. Doing what we do is tricky, because knitting started out as a hobby for all of us but now, it’s our work. My friend was saying that for her, because knitting is no longer a hobby, she took up cross stitch, and I said that for me, sock knitting is my hobby. Socks specifically because I don’t design them, and I’ve got a lovely collection of sock yarn, so I get to make socks just for me, for fun. In my head I can separate Work Knitting from Sock Knitting, so it feels like Not Work, and I have totally different mentalities when knitting socks than when knitting work stuff. I love making socks. I haven’t had time to knit socks in months because I got myself into some deadline situations, but I think that really soon, I can cast on a new pair. I am SO EXCITED. I got out all of my sock yarn the other day and petted it, thinking about which one I wanted to knit with first. So when I was offered a review copy of the Fall issue of Sockupied, I thought, “Perfect timing. There’s probably a sock pattern in there I’ll want to make, so yes! More socks!”

This is a lovely digital magazine. I do love magazines. I think I get like 10 different magazines as subscriptions. My husband says they appeal to my short attention span, but what does he know. I just like them. This magazine has two articles, including a rather educational one about the history of Russian socks, and 6 sock patterns for a whole range of skill levels. (Side note: I say “skill levels”, but I don’t like that term- I believe that any knitter can make any thing she wants, so long as she’s willing to learn along the way. So we’ll say “challenge options” instead of “skill levels.”) There are two colorwork patterns, one lace, two knit-purl, and a cabled pattern- a really excellent variety. 

Hominy Socks
photo credit: Sockupied/Harper Point Photography

My favorite type of socks to knit are simpler socks. If you know my crazypants style of design work then you probably think this is lies. I’m just happier making plainer socks! It should be no surprise, then, that the pattern I like best in this issue is the pattern geared towards beginners- the simpler knit-purl Hominy Socks by Marie Godsey. I think those will be my next socks. A word of caution: these socks are only written for one size. That's not a problem for me, because I (ahem) never actually follow sock patterns, and I almost always change the stitch count of socks to suit me. BUT: I could see how new sock knitters might be put off by the one size only. (The rest of the patterns are written for at least 3 sizes, and Kate Atherley's pattern is written for SIX sizes because that's how she does.)

I do really like the cover pattern- the colorwork Electrostatic Lines Socks by Jennifer Raymond- and I could possibly see knitting them with black and orange as Halloween socks or something, but probably not as knee socks. This is Louisiana. I have no need for knee socks. But regular length Halloween socks? Yes indeedy. 

Electrostatic Lines Socks
photo credit: Sockupied/Harper Point Photography

Also nice about this magazine: there's a glossary at the end with instructions for Jeny's Surprising Stretchy Bind Off, Judy's Magic Cast On, and the Kitchener Stitch, among other useful things. Most likely you, like me, cannot seem to remember one or more of these things no matter how many times you do it, so it's really great to have the instructions right there with the sock patterns.

My only deal with this magazine is that the socks I like are only written for one size, but I'm experienced enough that I can deal with that. Overall, the verdict on this magazine: it's terrific. If you love socks, Sockupied is right up your alley. If you'd like to get a copy for yourself, here's where you can do so- for only $11.99, which is a steal when you consider what one sock pattern would cost you on Ravelry. And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get out all of my sock yarn and arrange it by color on the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment