I used a skein of yarn that I dyed myself in... I think 2010? 2011? I got it in my head at some point that I was going to be a yarn dyer, so I amassed a collection of Jacquard dyes, a pot, and a whole bunch of undyed sock yarn. I did six or seven skeins, then totally lost steam for it. I sold a couple on Etsy, traded one on Ravelry, knitted a shawl (only shawl I've ever knitted) with another, and I've got a couple left in my sock yarn stash. When I dyed this skein I think I was going for a peacock-y color scheme, with teals, purples, blues, all dark and jewel tone-y, which it turns out is hard to do. I seriously overdyed this skein about eight times to get what I wanted. Too much. But it's pretty, so there we are. And now it's socks.
I kind of hated knitting the first sock of this pair. The second was a lot easier. Don't know why. I didn't read the pattern very well, so when I read the instruction to make a double decrease, I did slip one-k2tog-pass slipped stitch over instead of slip two together knitwise, knit one, pass slipped stitches over. That leads to a very different looking decrease than what I made, and I'm a bit bummed about it, but you know what? It was a good lesson. Read the pattern before just going off to knit willy-nilly.
I like these socks because they don't sag. Some of my socks sag over the course of the day, but the stitch pattern on these is of the stay-put variety. I like that.
My next pair of socks has a pretty serious deadline: the Superbowl! My beloved Patriots steamrolled the Colts to earn a spot in the game of all games, and no I don't want to talk about the balls. I decided that I'm making Pats socks. I thought about doing something fancy and knitting the logo onto the leg, or the number 12 onto the top of each foot, but in the end I thought simpler is probably better, and I went with an athletic sock look. I'm through the gusset on the first sock, and I've got a week left, so I think it's doable. Go Pats! Yay Tom Brady!