Sunday, June 29, 2014

Airline travel and not knitting.


Long time, blog. Long time. When last we spoke, my first Knitty pattern had just been released. Since then, I've spent a week in South Dakota (my flat, stormy, corn-y homeland), then got six whole hours at home in Delaware due to the gem of a system that we call "airline travel." Then hubbs and I spent a week that turned into nine days (again... airline travel. Oh, the joy it is.) in Baton Rouge, where I think I might have crossed the line and finally turned into an adult, because.... we bought a house. It has two terrific kitchens, one inside and one out, space for my garden, and hardwood floors. But the best part? It has a sewing/knitting/stash room, all for me. Don't have to share, or give it up when I have a baby, or anything. I can paint it any color I wish, and I don't have to pick up the yarn off the floor. Best day ever.

I only took one knitting project with me on this epic 16-day around-the-US adventure. I wasn't sure if that was going to be a really good idea, or a really bad one, but it worked out. I knew that my right hand needed to rest for a week, and I was good and actually let that happen while I was in South Dakota. It helps that when I'm visiting my family, there are a million things to do that aren't conducive to knitting, like cook all of the food and play Ticket to Ride approximately 8 million times and tickle my 9-month-old nephew. So I rested my hand, and felt better about life. Then we got to Baton Rouge and embarked on the crazy, crazy plan of "let's buy a house in 7 days when we've never even been to this state before." The first day we saw 8 houses, then 13 the second day, and 5 the third day. Put an offer on a house on the fourth day and signed all the paperwork on the fifth. Dealt with mortgage stuffs the sixth day, then finally on the seventh day we got to relax by the pool and I got to knit. Then I got to knit quite a bit more on the unplanned eighth and ninth days, because screw you, American Airlines.

Sock!

But now: home! Glorious, glorious home. Yesterday I walked around the house like, my coffee cup! My couch! My silverware! My bed! It was awesome. The weather was gorgeous so I took the opportunity to knit on the deck, with my own tomato plants, and my own lawn chairs, and my own mojito.

The pattern is Charade, and I have turned the heel and started the gusset for the first sock. The yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy in I think Wisterious? It's sort of sunset-y lilac, if that makes sense. Kind of an odd colorway, to be honest. I don't not like it, but I've liked other colors better. This is pair #5 of my goal of six pairs in 2014. I think I'll make it, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. What, no comments about your cat??? That is one of the best parts of this tale!

    ReplyDelete